What are you paying for?
- Placement location: Dar es Salaam
- Accommodation: Host family
- 24 hrs Assistance and support from Staff
- First day introduction at the project and surroundings
- Accommodation (shared rooms)
- Meals (3 meals a day)
- Guidance and supervision during your stay
What's not included?
- Air tickets
- Own drinks and luxury items
- Transport on the island with local taxis, bicycle or private transport
- Tours and outings in the weekends
- Personal collection upon arrival at airport or bus terminal
- Travel & Medical Insurance (Available at an extra cost
- Flights, visa costs, spending money
The teaching English volunteer program is a great opportunity for volunteers looking for international work experience in education sector. Under this project volunteers are placed in different schools, nursery, primary or secondary to teach English to the local students, Whilst on your placement you will work with the local Kindergarten and Primary schools in Dar es Salaam will include teaching English and potentially other subjects, depending on need and experience. You will usually have your own class for English lessons and may also be required to assist other teachers in class as well, the schools under this project lack the basic infrastructure and curriculum structure. Due to administrative issues like short staffing, proper education is not imparted to the students. All these schools are in need of good educators who can also take care of the children. English and Maths are two subjects that schools have challenges in, since English is not always spoken by teachers. The classrooms are big and facilities are basic. You can make a change here by supporting the schools and its principals, not only by offering assistance in teaching English but also to offer sports and games after school hours and make this an important time in these children’s lives!
Volunteer English teachers are a precious resource and always welcome. Usually volunteers work alongside the staff English teachers, or even lead the classes in improving the pronunciation and conversational skills. Volunteers are welcome to bring in their own ideas to the classroom as well to make it more engaging and fun to study. A typical list of tasks of volunteer working for the teaching English project in Tanzania,
- Preparing lesson plans (if possible)
- Assisting teachers in conducting classes for children.
- Helping with general work which comes up (Reception, translations)
- Preparing tests
- Helping in improving the vocabulary of the students
- Implementation of new ideas and teaching methods (if possible)
During your Free Time:
Volunteers will have a lot of free time during the weekend.
There is some options here,
- Visit Zanzibar island
- There is National Park around for 2 days safari/Mikumi National park
- Go on a spice tour to see how cloves, nutmeg and much more are grown in Zanzibar
- Visit Bagamoyo slave historical site and beach
- Go swimming in Indian Ocean/Dar es Salaam
- Relax and live the island lifestyle!
All free time activities are at participant’s own expense.
You can join the Teaching English In Local Schools project in Tanzania for one, two or three weeks. This project has been selected by our local colleagues as being suitable for short term volunteering for both the host community and the volunteer Although you will gain a valuable cultural insight and work within the local community please be aware that you may not be able to make the same impact as someone volunteering for a longer period.
WhatsApp +255715206986 or +255787534819
Duration: 3 Weeks
Location: Dar es Salaam
Project fee: 390$ /pp
Start dates: Flexible
Age: 18 up 99