What are you paying for?
- Placement location: Dar es Salaam
- Accommodation: Host family
- 24 hrs Assistance and support from Staff
- First day introduction at the project and surroundings
- Accommodation (shared rooms)
- Meals (3 meals a day)
- Guidance and supervision during your stay
What's NOT Included?
- Air tickets
- Own drinks and luxury items
- Transport on the island with local taxis, bicycle or private transport
- Tours and outings in the weekends
- Personal collection upon arrival at airport or bus terminal
- Travel & Medical Insurance (Available at an extra cost
- Flights, visa costs, spending money
All we ask is that you have a passion for sport and a desire to help others develop their own sporting ability.
Tanzanian are very keen on sports and you will often find young children kicking a ball around in their school playground or running around outside. Even though football is the most popular sport in Tanzania, you can get involved with a range of different school sports including netball and volleyball. Children are really keen to participate in a wide variety of sports so feel free to come up with new ideas and detaching materials,
School Sports volunteers work in local schools and Orphanage around the Dar es Salaam:
As a volunteer you will be working throughout the school term teaching sports in local schools. In the morning you will usually help with basic physical education lessons ensuring that each student gets involved in a diverse range of activities both individually and as part of a team. You will be working with students of all ages depending on when their physical education lessons take place.
In the afternoons, the work will involve coaching teams of school children of different levels (beginners, intermediate and advanced) with the long term goal of preparing the students to take part in local tournaments. You may find yourself working in several different schools during your stay depending on the timetable in each school.
Your Role Volunteering on a School Sports Project:
While volunteering abroad you could dedicate your time to the sport you love or help with a range of lessons. Just let us know where your interests lie once you have applied and we will match you to a suitable placement.
Helping to involve children and teenagers in sports in Tanzania means that they become fitter and healthier, as well as giving them a sense of belonging to a team with a shared passion and goal. This in turn has positive benefits for the wider society by engaging many of the youth in sports outside of school, which can keep them away from less wholesome activities, and give them vital structure and purpose.
The school holidays in Tanzania take place in April, August, November and December, so during this time more of the work will focus on the drop-in center. Here volunteers work with children aged from 4 up to teenagers.
During your Free Time:
Volunteers will have a lot of free time during the weekend.
There is some options here,
- Visit Zanzibar island
- There is National Park around for 2 days safari/Mikumi National park
- Go on a spice tour to see how cloves, nutmeg and much more are grown in Zanzibar
- Visit Bagamoyo slave historical site and beach
- Go swimming in Indian Ocean/Dar es Salaam
- Relax and live the island lifestyle!
All free time activities are at participant’s own expense.
You can join the School Sports project in Tanzania for one, two or three weeks. This project has been selected by our local colleagues as being suitable for short term volunteering for both the host community and the volunteer Although you will gain a valuable cultural insight and work within the local community please be aware that you may not be able to make the same impact as someone volunteering for a longer period.
WhatsApp +255715206986 or +255787534819
Duration: 3 Weeks
Location: Dar es Salaam
Project fee: 390$ /pp
Start dates: Flexible
Age: 18 up 99